Corby Council has backed a motion condemning racism and other hate crimes in the wake of last week’s EU vote.
Leader of Corby Council Tom Beattie proposed the motion, which was unanimously supported by all councillors, at last night’s full council meeting (Thursday, June 30).
The motion said: “The council notes that in the aftermath of the European Referendum result on June 23, it has been reported that there has been an increase in the number of hate and racially-motivated reports to the police and other agencies in parts of the United Kingdom.
“It is noted that Northamptonshire Police have to date not seen an increase in reported incidents and this is welcomed.
“The council feels it is important that Corby borough clearly demonstrates its support for all members of the local community who are working and living in our borough.
“As such, this council approves the following statement:
‘We are proud to live in our country. This council condemns racism, xenophobia and hate crimes unequivocally. We will not allow hate to become acceptable.
‘The council welcomes all new members of our community who have chosen Corby as their place to live, work and raise their family.
‘The council will continue to work with others to ensure that local bodies, agencies and programmes have the support and resources they need to fight and prevent racism and xenophobia.
‘We reassure all people living in Corby borough that they are valued members of the local community’.
Following the acceptance of the motion, Cllr Tom Beattie said: “I am very pleased that my colleagues have supported the motion put to them at full council.
“As said, Corby Council does not and will not tolerate any kind of hate crime or racial abuse and I hope that residents and visitors will now be able to have the confidence that they are extremely valued as members of this borough.”
Leader of the Conservative Group, Cllr Rob McKellar, who seconded the motion, said: “I too am very pleased that my colleagues have supported this motion.”