Controversial Desborough housing application thrown out by councillors
A controversial bid to build more than 300 homes on Desborough's Ise Valley was rejected by councillors last night (Tuesday).
The outline application, made by Central England Co-operative Ltd, would have seen up to 304 houses built, along with associated access, infrastructure, a public open space and nature area.
It has been a long-running saga with the people of Desborough protesting at the meeting and hundreds objecting to the plans, but had been recommended for approval.
But the plans were almost unanimously rejected by councillors as the development would not have fitted with the lush green surroundings.
Campaigner Kevin O’Brien was delighted with the decision.
He said: “The developers may come back but we are very, very happy.
“Everybody thought it was a given [that it would be approved] but it was pleasing to see councillors defending us.
“There may be an appeal but the reasons for rejection around biodiversity will not change.”
In the consulation stage, one objector said: “I believe that the proposed development is inappropriate because there are more acceptable sites available which are currently providing sufficient development.
“The proposed development would reduce the green space available and be detrimental to wildlife and residents.
“Also, the facilities in Desborough (doctors, schools, libraries etc) are already overstretched with current developments without increasing the population even further.”
A spokesperson for Central England Co-operative said: “We are disappointed with the outcome of the planning application.
“At present, we are waiting for the written decision from the planning committee; therefore at this time it is too early for us to comment in any detail.”
Central England Co-operative Ltd may lodge an appeal against the decision.