A number of campaigners have vowed to continue to fight for a town’s bus services after a route was axed.
They are unhappy because the last Wednesday W3 bus at 2.35pm, which runs between Berrymoor Road and Wellingborough town centre, has been cut by operator Centrebus.
Carol Atter, of Windsor Road, Wellingborough, said she fears this latest move could lead to more cuts.
She said: “It’s only on a Wednesday, but we think that it is only the start. The buses are our lifeline, it’s the only way that we can get to and from town to meet people. Centrebus has got a fight on its hands.”
Fellow campaigner Brenda Garnham, of Windsor Road, Wellingborough, added: “It will mean that no-one will use the buses on a Wednesday because they won’t have enough time in town. We’ll end up with nothing.”
They have previously held protests following the decision to withdraw several main routes across the borough. They also held meetings with Centrebus and Wellingborough Council over the future of the bus services.
Dave Shelley, commercial director for Centrebus, said: “The 2.35pm journey is being withdrawn to improve the overall reliability of our bus service network. Operational experience has highlighted that on Wednesdays there were delays occurring during the afternoon. We have a responsibility to ensure that the services we advertise can be delivered reliably.”
Cllr Paul Bell, leader of Wellingborough Council, said: “We’re working closely with Centrebus, the county council and local residents to get the best possible service for the W3 route. We are looking at ways that peak-time buses can be reinstated, including getting local MPs involved, trying to source funding, and negotiating changes to routes.”