A further delay to the re-opening of Corby’s Cottingham Road bridge has been branded an ‘absolute joke’.
The closure as part of the Midland Main Line upgrade, which began in January, was initially due to end on August 14 but that was then extended to September 10, and then September 29 with little notice.
And last week, it was announced just days before the closure was due to end that it would now be extended to October 19.
On Monday (October 1) the Northants Telegraph launched Bridge Watch to ensure that Network Rail stick to their word and re-open the bridge in order for the Old Village businesses to be sure their footfall increases in the vital run up to Christmas.
We’ll be doing a story a day until the scheduled opening date and today we’re publishing your thoughts on the nightmare from comments left on our social media pages.
Samie Beth said: “I hope the businesses are able to claim compensation for the loss of custom over this period.
“If it was a big chain I’m sure they would be demanding compo.”
Will Palmer said: “Are they apologising for the delay or for the delay to the delay to the delay?”
Jamie Alexander said: “Take a drive or stroll down that way, I have never seen a worker on site.”
Simon Rowlatt said: “Come on. Who seriously thought it would be open on time...what project in the UK runs on time??”
Simon Doab said: “Absolute joke.”
Danielle Pheely said: “This is just getting ridiculous now, there isn’t even anyone there working on it half the time and you would think they would have people working weekends to get it finished after all the delays.”
Steve Littlejohn said: “End of August it said it would be finished.
“The way it’s looking it will be the end of December.”
But not everyone saw the delays as a negative.
John Rockford said: “I’m pleased that they aren’t rushing to get the job done.
“I’d rather it take a bit longer and be done properly that [sic] corners cut to satisfy the need to stick to a date.”
Ed Akers, principal programme sponsor at Network Rail, apologised for the delay in re-opening the bridge.
He said: “We will be starting an immediate advertising campaign to support local businesses and ensure people know they are open and accessible, whilst the diversion is in place.
“We are working closely with partners to ensure the work on the bridge is finished as quickly as possible and we’d like to thank residents for their patience whilst we complete this vital upgrade.”