Â£40,000 council funding up for grabs to East Northants groups
East Northamptonshire Council (ENC) is helping more communities in the district with Â£40,000 of funding for projects in the area.
Each district councillor is allocated £1,000 per year for small community-based projects.
Money can be awarded to parish and town councils, community groups, voluntary organisations and charities working in East Northamptonshire.
Thanks to ENC’s Member Empowerment Fund (MEF), these types of projects can be funded:
- Community events, fairs and carnivals
- Community/Neighbourhood Planning activities
- Activities that promote participation in physical activity/healthy lifestyles
- Environmental improvements e.g. tidying up, new planting schemes
- Community facility improvements
- Support for new groups e.g. first aid, committee skills training
- Equipment for use by the local community
- Young people projects including equipment for youth groups
- Safer communities such as parking schemes and speed reduction measures
Since the scheme began in June 2011, communities have benefited from more than £168,000 of grant funding to support their projects, including:
- Purchasing/installing a picnic bench in Riverside Park, Higham Ferrers
- Litter picking equipment for clean up days in Chelveston and Caldecott
- Creating a multi-functional learning space for the school children and the wider community in Glapthorn
- Installation of a defibrillator for the benefit of the residents of Barnwell and the surrounding area
- Arts and craft equipment for the 1st Irthlingborough Scouts group
- Training programme and course materials to provide counselling sessions to young people in Oundle and the surrounding area
- Volunteer support and refreshments for the Rushden Hall Park health walk sessions
- Installation of a gated entrance to the village of Hargrave to visually improve road safety
Leader of East Northamptonshire Council, Steven North, said: “This is a great small fund that allows our councillors to support capital projects in their area, either as an individual or working with other members to support larger projects. If you need a bit of financial help to make your project a reality, have a chat with your local councillor.”
To find out more about the scheme or to apply for funding visit www.east-northamptonshire.gov.uk/mef or speak to your councillor, contact details can be found at www.east-northamptonshire.gov.uk/councillors.