Another accident causes chaos on busy road

MOTORISTS heading towards Kettering suffered major disruption when a two-car crash caused a road closure and led to miles of tailbacks.

Police were forced to shut the eastbound carriageway of the A14 at the Rothwell services yesterday to allow the air ambulance to land on the road following the collision at about 11.20am.

Despite the helicopter being called, none of the five casualties were airlifted. Instead they were taken by ambulance to hospital with minor injuries.

The road closure, which lasted for about an hour, caused major travel disruptions with queues going beyond the Rothwell junctions of the road.

Staff at McDonalds restaurant at the service station were forced to park in Rothwell and walk along the dual carriageway to work to get in on time.

Shift manager Natasha Winch said: “I walked by the crash and it did look quite serious – the cars involved were badly damaged.”

The road closure also meant a drop in business for the petrol station and restaurant at the service station.

Ms Winch said: “The road closure meant we had no customers over lunchtime.

“The A14 is the only access to the restaurant and with it blocked there was literally no one coming in.”

Police dispatched seven officers to the scene and they were there until about 1.40pm.

They managed the road closure, cleared the area for the air ambulance to land and assisted the recovery of the damaged vehicles.

The crash involved a blue Citroen and a silver Skoda.

All of those injured were inside the two cars.

The crash comes just five days after a a van ploughed into a broken-down lorry on the same road near Welford.

The road was closed in both directions for several hours and caused serious delays for rush-hour motorists.

The van passenger was airlifted to hospital in Coventry by the Warwickshire and Northamptonshire Air Ambulance for serious internal injuries

The driver of the van, a 49-year-old man also from Brierley Hill, was treated at the scene for minor injuries.

The driver of the lorry, a 51-year-old man from Colleferro in Italy, was unharmed in the incident.