A project to create a three-lane A14 between Junctions 7 and 9 near Kettering is nearing completion, but Highways Agency bosses have said they still don’t know when the road will be completely re-open.
The £42m scheme to add a third lane to the two-mile stretch of road began on November 11, 2013.
Since then, there have been numerous lane closures and speed restrictions.
At the outset of the project, the Highways Agency said the scheme was likely to be completed by spring 2015.
However, when contacted by the Telegraph to see if there was now a concrete date for re-opening, the agency maintained that the re-opening would still be at some point in the spring.
A spokesman said: “We would not give an exact date, even at this stage, because there are a number of factors which could still have an impact on the work – bad weather, for example.”
Although an exact re-opening date hasn’t been given, the Highways Agency has listed a programme of forthcoming works and lane closures for the next eight weeks.
The last work listed on the project’s website takes place between Friday and Sunday, April 10 and 12.
That will be a full closure of the eastbound carriageway overnight to allow for the installation of a gantry sign.
Between this Sunday and Monday, February 22 and 23, there will be another closure of the eastbound carriageway to allow workmen to make changes to the traffic management system.
The 24-hour 40mph speed limit along the distance of the work, which is being enforced by average speed cameras will remain throughout the works until completion of the scheme.
The Highways Agency’s project page can be found by following the relevant links at www.highways.gov.uk.