Simon Barclay is weighing up his options after his controversial exit from the ABA championship in Scunthorpe.
The 23 year-old from Corby was stunned when the judges voted against him after his heavyweight clash with Declan Fusco (South Durham) at Redbourne Sports and Social Club.
Barclay was convinced he had done enough to stay on course for a third ABA title in four years - and the majority points defeat leaves him with a decision to make about his fighting future.
The defeat has dented his hopes of clinching a call up to the Great Britain squad and Barclay has to decide what’s next.
Coach John Mulheron hopes to match Barclay on his show at the Best Western Hotel on Saturday, April 13 - and the England international may decide to cash in on his talents and turn professional after that.
Barclay said: “I’ve got to sit down and think about what I’m going to do. I won’t be making any rash decisions.”
Barclay was is convinced he was on the wrong end of a bad decision in Scunthorpe.
“I felt in control of the fight and I honestly can’t remember getting caught by one clean shot,” he said.
“I was catching his shots and landing jabs, body shots and uppercuts.
“Look at his face and look at mine and you will see who landed all the clean punches.”
Fusco ended the fight with a bad nose bleed suffered when Barclay connected with a terrific left hook in the third round.
Fusco, beaten in last season’s ABA cruiserweight, received a ticking off from the referee later in the session.
But at the final bell, four of the five judges had him ahead by scores of 13-10, 18-15, 29-19 and 10-6.
Barclay was the winner for one of the judges by a 15-12 score line - and said: “I don’t know how they came up with some of those scores.”
Fusco, beaten in last year’s ABA cruiserweight final, was a tough opponent. He was bigger, switched stances and spent most of the fight on the front foot.
But Barclay kept his defences tight and appeared to land the cleaner punches.