Barclay targets a winning return to action in Corby

Corby boxer Simon Barclay will make his return to the ring in front of a home town crowd in September
Corby boxer Simon Barclay will make his return to the ring in front of a home town crowd in September

Corby cruiserweight Simon Barclay heads home for his next fight determined to prove he’s a winner.

Manager Jason McClory has announced the 26-year-old will top the bill in front of his home crowd at the Rockingham Forest Hotel on Friday, September 23.

For Barclay, it’s his first fight since he lost a challenge for the English title in Liverpool in March.

He was ruled out in the second round of his fight against Matty Askin with a cut on his left eyelid.

Barclay had won his first eight professional fights and said: “It’s been killing me to have lost my last fight.

“When you lose, you want to go out there and put it behind you, but it’s been sitting on me.

“It’s been so frustrating.

“I’m a winner and I’ve always been a winner. Every time I lost in the amateurs I came back stronger and I’m going to do it again.

“I don’t feel I have to prove a point to anyone. I know that in time, I will prove everyone wrong who’s written me off.”

Barclay says he’s learned from the Askin fight, a title challenge he accepted at only two-and-a-half weeks’ notice.

“Although the fight only lasted a couple of rounds, I learned a lot from it,” said the former two-weight ABA champion.

“My game plan was to soak up the early pressure, then come on, but when the top guys come out fast against you, you can’t do that.

“I know I have to get out of the traps a bit quicker and let them know they are in for a fight right from the start rather than relying on getting stronger as the fight goes on.

“I had a chat with my manager the other day and we were saying that maybe I shouldn’t have taken the fight, but if the same thing happened again, I would still take the fight.

“That’s the sort of character I am.”

Barclay hopes he will get the chance to turn the tables on Askin in the future.

He said: “Askin looked so relieved when he got the win because in the second round he had started to feel what I’ve got.

“He realised he was in for a tough fight. If I had been able to carry on, I’m sure it would have been hard for me, but I think I could have put some pressure on him and broken him down in the later rounds.

“If our paths cross again, I would be up for a rematch and hopefully next time I will have a full training camp behind me.”

Dominic Specchio, meanwhile, will make his long-awaited professional debut on the undercard of Barclay’s return.

The 25-year-old Kettering welterweight, a fleet-footed counter-puncher, looks set to be an exciting addition to the professional ranks.

The former double WAKO world kickboxing champion will be tested against an as yet unnamed opponent over four three-minute rounds.

Further details of the Corby show will be announced in the coming weeks and tickets are available from 07742 109855 and 07967 646016.