Corby Town look to have made their first signing of the summer in the form of midfielder Lewis Webb.
Webb, who had been at St Neots Town, had appeared to have secured a second stint at King’s Lynn Town.
But the 22-year-old has revealed he has done a dramatic u-turn after it was reported that he had been offered a contract and more money by the Steelmen.
Webb said: “I’m sorry for the way it has happened and understand that some fans will hate me for what I’ve done.
“I’ve been offered a contract and more money at Corby and as a footballer you want to test yourself at the highest level possible.
“I also have a family to support and think about and I think anyone in my position would have done exactly the same.”
Linnets manager Gary Setchell added: “I’m shocked and and disappointed that Lewis has left us for Corby Town.
“He rang and told me of his decision. He wants to play at a higher level of football and Corby have offered him more money.”
The Steelmen are yet to officially confirm Webb’s arrival, although they have revealed they will take on a Stoke City under-21 side in a pre-season friendly at Steel Park on Monday, July 23 (7.30pm).