Wright hails impact of Corby’s hat-trick hero Revan

Kurtis Revan, pictured in action for Stamford against FC United of Manchester last season, hit a hat-trick as a young Corby Town side won 3-2 at Newcastle United
Kurtis Revan, pictured in action for Stamford against FC United of Manchester last season, hit a hat-trick as a young Corby Town side won 3-2 at Newcastle United

Corby Town boss Tommy Wright will be adding Kurtis Revan to his first-team squad after the young winger made a stunning start to pre-season last night (Tuesday).

The Steelmen took an under-23 team to play a Newcastle United side made up of second-year scholars at the Barclays Premier League club’s training ground at Little Benton.

Goals from Mackenzie Heaney and James Holmes put Newcastle 2-0 up at half-time before Revan took centre-stage with a second-half hat-trick, which sealed a 3-2 win for the young Steelmen.

Revan, a 19-year-old winger who was previously with Derby County and played for Stamford last season, signed forms with Corby earlier this year and made his first-team debut as a second-half substitute in the 3-1 win at Rugby Town in the Red Insure Cup.

But his early impact in a Corby side, which included summer signing Ashley Sammons, has made a big impression on Wright.

“I really like him,” the Corby boss said of Revan.

“He came on for 20 minutes against Rugby Town in the Red Insure Cup last season and he played in that like he played last night.

“He is a good player, he’s sharp, he’s a six foot winger and he has scored a hat-trick in our first friendly so it was a very good night for him.

“On the back of that, he will be added to the first-team squad and I will have to have a think about things because I have dual-registered him with Gary Mills at Rugby.

“We will have a further look at him during pre-season but he has made a very early impact, which is what we want from these boys.

“Overall, it was an interesting experience. Newcastle thought we were bringing our first-team so they were a bit surprised when they were told only four of the lads who played had been regulars.

“It was good for us, we managed to get two 16-year-olds a run-out and it was another chance for us to give these young lads an opportunity, which is what we like to do.

“The set-up was amazing and our boys did what was asked of them, they put on a real show.”

The Corby first-team players, who are gearing up for a Vanarama National League North campaign, will have their first run-out when they make the trip to Oadby Town next Tuesday.

Don’t miss more Steelmen news in Thursday’s Corby Telegraph