Andrew Wilson and Tommy Wright have been appointed as the new joint-managers of Corby Town.
Steelmen chairman Kevin Ingram confirmed the news in a conference call with the new managerial team due to meet the Corby players for the first time at training tonight (Monday) before taking charge of their first game in Saturday’s FA Cup first qualifying round clash with Barwell at Steel Park on Saturday.
Mark Peters, who was in caretaker charge following the resignation of Chris Plummer, has left his previous role of assistant-manager but will continue in his role with the club’s academy.
Wilson was previously manager of Harborough Town and was most recently the assistant-boss at Histon while Wright was, up until today, a player with Harrogate Town having also played for the likes of Leicester City, Barnsley and Tamworth, for whom he scored against Corby in the FA Trophy last season.
Wright will continue with his playing role at Steel Park as well as making up one part of the new managerial team and both men believe a big opportunity lies ahead for them.
Wilson said: “I think Corby Town is a sleeping giant.
“I believe the off-field changes that Kevin has made are helping the club move in the right direction and we want to take them back to the level they were and, if we can in the future, even higher.
“I have ties with Corby, I used to play there when I was 17 or 18 a few years ago so I have an affinity with them.”
And Wright added: “It is a massive opportunity for both of us and it is something we are relishing.
“I still feel I have a lot to offer in terms of playing and hopefully that will add to what we already have here.
“Going into management is something I am very passionate about. I have known Andrew for around 10 years and he coached my brother at Harborough so I got to know him from there.
“The slate will be wiped clean for the squad that is here at the moment. We have got a week or so to get ready for a massive game and we will have a good look at all the players as we get ready for that.”
Ingram revealed the duo had approached the club over the manager’s job at the end of last season and, as he sent a message of thanks to Peters for his impressive job in a temporary role, he also admitted he believes the club have the right people at the helm.
“It was a really difficult decision to make,” the Steelmen chairman said.
“It all came down to what we felt the candidates could give us in the future going forward.
“I do want to thank Mark for the job he has done. He stepped in and was comfortable in the role and he did a great job for us in difficult circumstances.
“But we believe we have a managerial team in place that can take us to a promotion and hopefully on a good FA Cup run as well. It is a massive game for us at the weekend and a real baptism of fire for he two guys.”
Ingram also revealed the club interviewed six candidates in total for the job and those interviews were carried out by him, Graham Starmer and the club’s director of football operations Gerry Reilly.