Nathan Rooney has left Corby Town after a short spell at Steel Park.
The midfielder had been in impressive form for the Steelmen as he scored in the 3-1 FA Cup success at Colwyn Bay and was also on target with a fine strike in last weekend’s 3-1 vicory over Weymouth in the Calor League Premier Division.
But he has become the third player in to leave the club in the space of two days following the departures of Nabil Shariff and Lee Hendrie, which were announced on Sunday night.
Rooney has cited the strains of travelling from his home in Telford as his reason to leave.
Steelmen joint-boss Tommy Wright has reiterated what was said by fellow manager Andrew Wilson that the club’s budget is not the reason behind the recent departures and that he expects at least one new signing to come in by the time Corby travel to Redditch United in the Calor League on Saturday.
Wright said: “Unfortunately Nathan has made the decision to leave the football club.
“He spoke to us after Saturday’s game and confirmed his decision yesterday (Monday). It was 100 per cent his decision and although we are disappointed we can completely understand his situation.
“He has loved his football at Corby Town, however where he lives in Telford was causing too much of an issue to both parties.
“It takes him two hours to a play a home game and with us playing in the Southern League it’s too much travelling for him and he feels extremely tired and lethargic.
“It even got to a point where he has been unable to attend training which is starting to effect his fitness.
“Hopefully if we can get ourselves promoted and back into the Conference North then we may see Nathan Rooney in a Corby shirt again but in the short term he wants to play more locally.
“I want to reiterate what Stan (Wilson) said, the budget hasn’t been changed, we even offered him an improved deal but that clearly wasn’t the issue.
“Aman Verma was signed to bolster the squad, which we are both delighted about and the supporters can expect at least one new face into the club by the weekend.
“We always knew that it was likely to be short term with Nathan.
“We wish him well, he is a great lad and a footballer that we both admire very much. We will stay in touch and see what happens in the future.”