Steelmen see off high-fliers thanks to late drama

Corby Town joint-manager Tommy Wright
Corby Town joint-manager Tommy Wright

Corby Town made it five wins in a row at Steel Park as a dramatic finish saw them beat Calor League Premier Division high-fliers Chesham United 2-1.

The Steelmen looked like they would have to settle for a point when Daniel Brathwaite headed an equaliser four minutes from the end after Corby skipper Paul Malone had put his side in front.

But just two minutes after the leveller, Brathwaite was on target again as he blasted a low cross from Tom Berwick into his own net to hand the hosts all three points and a welcome victory after their defeat at Banbury in midweek.

Nabil Shariff was handed a starting role for the Steelmen following the surprise departures of Josh Moreman and Avelino Vieira on Friday.

Nathan Fox, as expected, made his debut at left-back after he re-joined Corby from Kettering Town during the week.

It proved to be a fairly uneventful first half, although Corby goalkeeper Paul Walker almost gifted the visitors the lead after eight minutes.

He kicked the ball straight to Drew Roberts but Walker redeemed himself with a smart save from the striker, who might have squared for Toby Little who would have had an open goal.

Corby’s best chance of the half saw Shariff drag a shot just wide of the far post while Walker made an even better save just before half-time when he turned Little’s effort round for a corner.

Chris Dillon went close early in the second half when he somehow put Little’s low cross over the bar from close-range.

And Chesham were made to pay for that miss when Corby broke the deadlock on 54 minutes.

Sam Ives swung in a corner from the left and Malone rose to head the ball home, although it took a nick off a defender on the way in.

It all got a bit scrappy after that and Corby looked like they would hold on for a 1-0 victory with some gritty defending.

But then, with just four minutes left, a corner came in from the right and Brathwaite met it at the near post with Fox just unable to keep it out.

However, that wasn’t the end of the drama and just two minutes later Berwick got free in the area and his low ball across goal was smashed into the roof of the net by Brathwaite as Corby joint-boss Tommy Wright waited at the far post.

And so, it turned out to be a fine day for the Steelmen and a sure sign that there are few problems on their own ground at least.

Steelmen: Walker; Ingram, Malone, Gascoigne, Fox; Carruthers; Berwick, James, Ives, Shariff; Wright. Subs not used: Arber, Dias, Moyo, McGowan, Greer.

Chesham: Gore; Kyriacou, Lambert, Gordon, Brathwaite; Wales (sub Effiong, 74 mins), Thomas, Wilson, Little (sub Potton, 69 mins); Dillon, Roberts. Subs not used: Brown.

Referee: Andrew Fox.

Goals: Malone (54 mins, 1-0), Brathwaite (86 mins, 1-1), Brathwaite og (88 mins, 2-1).

Bookings: Gordon (foul), Shariff (unsporting behaviour).

Attendance: 221.