Andrew Wilson chose to clear the air on a couple of pressing subjects following Corby Town’s 2-2 draw with Chippenham Town in the Calor League Premier Division on Saturday.
The Steelmen twice led at Steel Park but twice they were pegged back as the visitors claimed a deserved point.
The game came after joint-manager Wilson slammed his players for an “embarrassing” display in the 4-0 defeat at Cogenhoe United in the NFA Hillier Senior Cup last Tuesday.
But Wilson now insists that he and fellow boss Tommy Wright had to take their “share of the blame” for that shock result.
And he also moved to address the surprise departure of top scorer Tom Berwick, who left the club for league leaders Hemel Hempstead Town in the wake of the loss last week.
“It is Tom’s decision,” Wilson said.
“There was a little bit of a disagreement last Tuesday night but I can’t think that somebody would leave just because of a disagreement like that.
“I think it would be naive to think that more hasn’t been going on in the background.
“It is disappointing because five weeks ago we set our stall out to make him our highest paid non-contract player.
“I like Tom, he is a good lad and if he doesn’t want to be at the club then that’s up to him.
“Tommy and I hold our hands up as far as the Cogenhoe game is concerned.
“We wanted to rest certain players and we were trying to get a few local lads signed on for it but we didn’t realise they had to be signed 24 hours before the game.
“So we have to take some of the blame for that and the lads turning up for that game were previously told they were not needed so the mentality wasn’t right. That was our fault and we accept that.”
Wilson was also questioned about the status of central defender Mark Arber, who made a rare appearance in the defeat at Cogenhoe.
Despite being on a contract with the Steelmen, Arber has barely featured under Wilson and Wright after being brought to Steel Park by former manager Chris Plummer, who played with the defender in the past with Peterborough United.
Wilson added: “Mark is on contract and is entitled to be getting his wages every week because of that fact.
“Tommy and I feel that, at the minute, he is somebody who is not going to be in the squad for whatever reason, that is our decision.
“That is the situation, Mark is getting on with it. We don’t see him fitting into our plans at the moment and that is where we are at.”
The Steelmen, who signed young midfielders Wilson Carvalho and Louis Greenway-Tambini on loan from Port Vale ahead of the draw at the weekend, are back in action at Steel Park on Wednesday night when they host Biggleswade Town.