EXCLUSIVE: Wright says Corby may struggle to field a team against Poole

Steelmen joint-manager Tommy Wright
Steelmen joint-manager Tommy Wright

Tommy Wright has exclusively told the Northamptonshire Telegraph that Corby Town are struggling to put a team together for tomorrow (Wednesday) night’s Calor League Premier Division clash with Poole Town at Steel Park.

The Steelmen joint-boss says he has “been given the impression” by senior players within the squad that they may boycott the fixture over wages that are still owed to them.

It is understood that outstanding wages are owed to a number of members of the Steelmen squad as well as Wright and his fellow joint-boss Andrew Wilson.

Wright has insisted that the Steelmen will fulfil the fixture by getting as many players as possible registered ahead of the clash.

But it now appears that the off-field issues at Steel Park are threatening to take over on-field matters after the Steelmen saw their hopes of reaching the play-offs all-but ended by Saturday’s 4-3 home defeat to Stourbridge.

The club is currently in a dispute with Corby Borough Council over a cut in funding and the need for a state-of-the-art sports pavilion that they want to build at Steel Park to help fund the whole Rockingham Triangle complex.

Chairman Kevin Ingram had already previously confirmed that the club had fallen behind in paying players’ wages and that the future of the club is under threat due to the off-field issues.

Midfielder Aman Verma left the club earlier this week to sign for Kidderminster Harriers while defender Nathan Stanton and midfielder Claudiu Hoban are suspended for tomorrow night’s game anyway.

And Wright has now revealed the full severity of the situation that he and Wilson are faced with.

“The situation is that, at this moment in time, some players may not play against Poole tomorrow night,” the joint-boss said.

“I think it is the uncertainty over the past month which has led us to this point. I think Stan (Wilson) and I have managed the situation well and people know where we stand.

“This isn’t about us. Unless the chairman gets some help or the council pay the money that it looks like they owe the club then we are in a serious situation. There needs to be a pool of money to keep the club going until the end of the season.

“I think that, at this present time, we have seven or eight players who will turn out for us tomorrow night.

“I am getting the impression that some of the players are making a stand. They had a meeting, which we asked them to because we wanted it dealt with in-house and this is the outcome.

“We will play the game and we will fulfil the fixture because not doing that will only create even more problems.

“It is going to mean a lot of phone calls for us over the next 24 hours and we will get as many players registered as we can.

“We have managed this situation as best we can and I think the players have only stayed because of that.

“We have been on to a good thing here. I don’t think the lads are ready to leave for football reasons, it is purely financial.

“Some of these lads rely on the income, that is the way it is.”

The Steelmen are due to play Poole tomorrow night and then face a double-header with AFC Totton as they travel there on Saturday before playing them at home next Wednesday.

Corby chairman Ingram has so far been unavailable for comment today.