Back to the drawing board for Steelmen

Spencer Weir-Daley grabbed his first goal for Corby Town in Tuesday's FA Cup defeat at Norton United
Spencer Weir-Daley grabbed his first goal for Corby Town in Tuesday's FA Cup defeat at Norton United

Tommy Wright will go “back to the drawing board” as Corby Town aim to put a troublesome period behind them at Steel Park tomorrow (Saturday).

The Steelmen’s poor form this month hit a new low over the last week as they were dumped out of the FA Cup at the first hurdle by Evo-Stik Northern League Division One South strugglers Norton United.

Corby seemed to have things under control when they led 3-1 with nine minutes to go at home last weekend.

But some shocking defending allowed Norton to score twice in the last 10 minutes and they took full advantage by sealing a 2-1 victory in Tuesday’s replay, despite Spencer Weir-Daley grabbing his first goal for the club.

Having lost just one game in seven in August, the Steelmen are yet to win in September.

But, as they return to Southern League Premier Division action at home to Paulton Rovers this weekend, Wright is determined to “start again” in a bid to get it right.

“We have to start again and that’s the way we must look at it,” the Steelmen boss said.

“A cup run would have been nice and I expected us to go through a couple of rounds at least but that’s what happens and we weren’t the only team it happened to.

“We will go back to the drawing board and will come up with an 11 that we feel can go out there and put in a performance for the fans.

“We have let a lot of people down but we are all in the same boat. No-one is more disappointed with what has happened than me.

“We now have to get the fans right behind us and hopefully we can make sure that things look a lot more rosey on Saturday evening.”

The Steelmen will have two new faces in their squad for tomorrow’s clash after former Leicester City defender Jamie Anton and midfielder Liam McNally signed for the club.

That came after Lewis Jackson was released ahead of the FA Cup defeat at Norton while Shane Byrne suffered a hamstring injury in the replay.