Kettering Town striker Dubi Ogbonna has issued a public apology following his actions at the end of last Saturday’s 3-1 home win over North Greenford United.
The frontman had to be calmed by his own team-mates after being overruled in wanting to take a late penalty, which was subsequently scored by Andy Gooding.
And the striker then stormed straight down the tunnel instead of going to the touchline after he was substituted soon after the incident.
Ogbonna missed Monday’s 1-0 success over Daventry Town, which took the Poppies back to the top of the Southern League Division One Central due to an ankle injury, which could also keep him out of this weekend’s FA Cup preliminary round clash at Cogenhoe United.
But he has now apologised for his behaviour at the end of the victory against North Greenford and admitted he “let down” the club’s supporters.
In his statement, Ogbonna said: “I would like to apologise firstly to the fans who have supported me from day one and whom I let down on Saturday.
“To my team-mates, the management and the board of Kettering Town I apologise for not acting in the best interest of the team.
“There is no defence for arguing with team-mates on the field. We have a very solid changing room and I respect all of my team-mates.
“On Saturday, just like every time I put on a Kettering Town shirt, all I wanted to do was to perform to my best and score goals.
“I let this desire to score sway my judgement and I allowed my emotions to get the better of me.
“I will work hard to make sure that this does not happen again. I also did not mean any offence by leaving the field when I was substituted.
“It was near the end of the game and I was closer to the touchline by the tunnel so I headed for the changing rooms. I realise now this was wrong and not the example I should be setting.
“Kettering Town has a long, proud history, a history I wish to add to by helping the team to win the league this year.
“I hope everyone will accept my apology and continue to give me such great support on the field.”
The Poppies followed that with a statement of their own in which they accepted the striker’s apology.
The club statement said: “The club has accepted the apology and hope Dubi will be fit and available for selection this Saturday and will continue to have the support of the fans.”
Poppies joint-boss Thomas Baillie had earlier confirmed to the Northamptonshire Telegraph that Ogbonna had already issued an apology to all concerned and that, as far as Baillie was concerned, “the matter is now closed”.
Don’t miss a full preview of Kettering’s FA Cup clash with Cogenhoe in Thursday’s Northamptonshire Telegraph