Northamptonshire have given Trent Copeland until July 5 to decide whether or not to accept an offer to return to the County Ground.
The Australian seamer was a huge success in his two-month stint that recently concluded, taking in excess of 50 wickets in all competitions, but having agreed to a short-term deal the player’s return to Sydney was always on the cards.
Copeland’s success has led the club to seek to re-engage his services in the final weeks of the campaign - for four County Championship and three YB40 games - and they are prepared to wait until receiving a final answer.
Chief executive David Smith said: “I’ve been in contact with Trent and the club have given him until July 5 to decide.
“We’d like him back but that’s entirely up to him and if he doesn’t then we will decide what to do.
“We’ve got an obligation to be sensible from a financial perspective and we won’t be throwing money at anyone, but the chance to bring someone in would still be there.”