No progress so far on Copeland return to Northants

Trent Copeland is yet to make a decision regarding a return to the County Ground
Trent Copeland is yet to make a decision regarding a return to the County Ground
0
Have your say

Northamptonshire are yet to receive a decision from Trent Copeland over a possible return to the County Ground.

The New South Wales seamer, who was a resounding success during his two-month stint with the club earlier in the season, has been offered the chance to return for the final stages of the campaign.

A deadline of July 5 had been mentioned, but chief executive David Smith, while admitting that was the case, says there is no need to press the panic button.

“We did have a deadline in place but that was only a guide,” he said.

“We’ve been in contact with Trent since he returned home and he knows that we would like him to come back.

“He had a few things to sort out over there and he’s got his state cricket to think about but there will be a decision soon.

“The money is there for an overseas player later in the year, but if Trent doesn’t come back it will be a choice between sticking with what we’ve got or going back into the market to see who is available.”

Cameron White will be available for next week’s Championship clash with Lancashire, but there is every chance that the game against Gloucestershire in early August, even if Copeland says yes to a return, will see the County without an overseas player in their ranks.