Tragedy of recluse who took drugs overdose

A MAN died of an accidental drug overdose after mourning the death of his mother, an inquest was told.

Eugene Phillip Jones, 41, was found by his brother at their family home in Kilnway, Wellingborough, on Thursday, June 21, last year.

Earlier in the month his mother had died on the sofa at home, and he had since had difficulty coping.

At an inquest held in Kettering yesterday Terence Jones said: “My brother was a recluse who spent most of his time looking after our mother.

“He once commented to me about a dream he had about him dying after my mother.

“One day he turned to me when I was talking about my mother and told me he did not want to talk about it again.”

Mr Jones had previously suffered from depression and anxiety attacks and found it difficult to get a job. He had been known to take prescription tablets as well as sedatives bought from children who came to his house.

On the evening before Mr Jones’ death his brother had noticed he was struggling to stand, but had gone to bed to try to recover.

Recording a verdict of accidental death, coroner Anne Pember, said: “There is no evidence that Mr Jones intended to end his life, but his death was a sad accident.”