The parents of a three-year-old boy who was bitten on the face by a dog tied up outside a supermarket say they are appalled they were not offered any first aid by staff inside the shop.
James Vincent, of Rushton Road, Desborough, was bitten on the mouth by a Jack Russell-type dog when he and mum Hannah McDowell were on their way to the Co-op store in Station Road in the town last Saturday.
The dog was tied up, with a retractable lead, near to the supermarket entrance.
Miss McDowell said: “James didn’t go to stroke the dog or anything like that, he was playing on some bars near the door and the dog jumped up and bit him.
“There was a lot of blood and I was hysterical. I ran into the shop and was asking who the dog belonged to and if we could have any help but no-one did anything.”
A customer gave Miss McDowell a lift to the nearby doctor’s surgery in Desborough but staff there said she would have to take James to hospital.
“She was eventually able to phone for an ambulance from her mother’s house nearby. James was treated at Kettering General Hospital and is now recovering.
Miss McDowell’s partner David Vincent said he was annoyed no details were recorded for the shop’s accident book, as the incident had happened on the Co-op’s property.
He added: “They should take some of the responsibility.”
A Co-op spokesman said: “We have been in touch with the customer to offer our regret, to understand their concerns in relation to the events of Saturday and to note the missing contact and personal information for our records.”
A spokesman for Northamptonshire Police said they had been made aware of the incident.