Solar eclipse over Northamptonshire

0
Have your say

The chances of seeing the partial solar eclipse over Northamptonshire on Friday are not great.

At 9.32am the county will be plunged into twilight with 88 per cent darkness.

Daylight will lessen about one hour before the peak has been reached with normal levels of daylight returning an hour later.

Tony Segal of astronomy club Stanion Stargazers advises extreme caution when viewing the phenomenon, and said: “Do not look at the sun either with the naked eye or a telescope.

“The only safe way is with proper eclipse glasses from a reputable manufacturer or at a reflected image focused on to white paper from a telescope, but remember do not look through the eye-piece.”

The next total solar eclipse will be on August 12, 2026.

An image from the last partial solar eclipse in August 1999

An image from the last partial solar eclipse in August 1999

If you do get lucky and are able to see the eclipse, you can send your photos to us by email, on Facebook or via our website.

Latest weather forecast for Friday

For much of the country there will be a lot of cloud around on Friday morning but for Northamptonshire we may be very fortunate and experience somewhat clearer skies allowing for the solar eclipse to be viewed.

However, the south-eastern sky (where the sun will be) may remain cloudier thus limiting the chances somewhat.

Do not look at the sun either with the naked eye or a telescope.

Tony Segal

It literally will be a case of looking out of the window to see if we are lucky enough to have a clearer spell of weather.

There is a 20 per cent chance it will be sunny, a 60 per cent chance it will be partly cloudy and a 20 per cent chance it will be cloudy.

Forecast provided by Northants meteorologist Paul Barber from Forecasts4u.

The partial solar eclipse will be visible, weather permitting, from about 9.30am

The partial solar eclipse will be visible, weather permitting, from about 9.30am

A partial solar eclipse will occur over Northamptonshire on Friday

A partial solar eclipse will occur over Northamptonshire on Friday