A man and woman face a £600 bill and life with a smaller, quieter television after repeatedly defying council orders to turn down the noise.
Mantas Vysniauskas, 43, and Viktorija Vysniauskiene, 24, of Sycamore Close, Kettering, ignored warnings from council officials over loud music for almost a year before being summoned to Kettering Magistrates Court on December 22.
The pair pleaded guilty to twice breaching a noise abatement notice and were given a conditional discharge for 12 months and told to pay costs of £600. The court also ordered the forfeiture of their two televisions, surround sound and stereo speakers, although they have now got a smaller television.
Yesterday Mr Vysniauskas apologised to his neighbours but said he thought his behaviour was ‘normal’.
He said: “Yes, I accept that sometimes the music was too loud and I am sorry for that. But the music was mostly during the day and only for a few evening parties. It was normal.”
Neighbour John Wall, 41, said: “Life has been much quieter since the equipment was seized, I’m pleased.”
Kettering Council first received complaints about loud music from Mr Vysniauskas and Ms Vysniauskiene’s home in January last year.
Officers made several visits and issued an abatement notice to the pair in a bid to resolve the issue. But that was breached in May and noise making equipment was seized as a result, but returned a month later following a warning.
In June the pair breached the order again and were stripped of their televisions and speakers again.
Council environmental services manager Chris Stopford said: “This case demonstrates the impact that unwanted noise has on local communities.”