Second arrest in hunt for serial sex attacker in Wellingborough

0
Have your say

POLICE hunting a serial sex attacker who preyed on women in Wellingborough have made a second arrest.

Seven attacks took place in the town in January and February.

All the victims were walking on their own when they were followed by the offender, who covered his face with a scarf before exposing himself and indecently assaulting the victims.

Detectives arrested an 18-year-old suspect on March 6, but it has now been revealed that a second arrest has been made.

Det Insp Ali Reynolds said: “To date two arrests have been made and both people arrested remain on police bail while inquiries continue.

“The first arrest was made in Wellingborough on March 6 and was of an 18-year-old man from the town. The second arrest was also made in Wellingborough on March 22 and was of a 19-year-old man, also from the town.

“There have been no further reported attacks in this crime series but women are asked to remain vigilant and to take sensible precautions. We would advise everyone to plan their journey, avoid going out alone and to tell someone where you are going and when.

“Officers are continuing to patrol the area of the attacks and will specifically speak to any lone women they see overnight to offer personal safety advice.”

A women’s safety session was held at All Saints Church in Wellingborough on Wednesday night. Insp Julie Mead, who led the session, said: “Because there had been the sex attacks in Wellingborough we wanted to raise people’s awareness about personal safety.”

Karen Hunt, of Wellingborough, who attended the event, said: “I wanted to see how I could better protect myself.

“It’s good that the police held the session and gave away attack alarms.”

Information on personal safety can be found at www.northants.police.uk or from the Suzy Lamplugh Trust at www.suzylamplugh.org.

Anyone with information about the offences can call police on 101 – or 999 in an emergency – and mention Operation Breach.