Pet death raises water concerns

Gurj Sahota with sons Maskeen Sahota, three, and Armaan Sahota, six, with their remaining dog Pip
Gurj Sahota with sons Maskeen Sahota, three, and Armaan Sahota, six, with their remaining dog Pip

A family heartbroken at the quick death of their dog think their pet could have been poisoned after drinking from a brook.

Gurj Sahota, of St Valentine’s Close, Kettering, took his beloved pet Simba for a walk on July 26 alongside the River Ise’s brook as it runs past the Ise Lodge estate, and says his dog twice drank from the water.

A day later the dog died, with vets believing his rapid decline could have been down to poisoning. Following the dog’s death and rumours about the water being poisonous, the Enivronment Agency has confirmed it has tested the water.

Mr Sahota, 32, said: “It’s really, really upsetting. He was a great family pet, he was only eight so was very healthy, and the river was the only place he drank from that day. My children were distraught.

“I’ve heard from other dog walkers in the area that ours isn’t the first to have died. Children play near the brook so I’m concerned.”

Simba drank from a part of the river under the Deeble Road bridge and again further down near Warkton.

A spokesman for the Environment Agency said the results of its tests will not be known until next week, but added that anyone concerned should not let their pets or children go into the brook.

An Environment Agency officer inspected the brook, but found that aquatic life there was healthy.

Sarah Blissett, 38, of Glenshee Close, Kettering, walks her dog Roxy in the fields near the brook and said her dog fell ill, but has recovered.

She said: “I’ve heard dogs have become sick after walking there. It has made me really wary. I think warning signs should be put up.”