Pet cat escapes as house is damaged in blaze

Firefighters examine the remains of the kitchen appliance after the fire

Firefighters examine the remains of the kitchen appliance after the fire

0
Have your say

A house was severely damaged after a blaze which started in a kitchen.

The home in Mantlefield Road, Corby, was left damaged by smoke following the outbreak of the fire just after 10am yesterday.

A Northamptonshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman at the scene said the house was empty at the time, apart from a pet cat, which had escaped to safety at a neighbouring home.

The spokesman said: “It was a kitchen fire caused by an electrical appliance, we are still trying to determine which one at the moment.

“The fire was under control within 20 minutes.”

Three fire crews, two from Corby and one from Kettering, attended the blaze.

The emergency services were called by neighbours Linda and Terry Wilkins.

Mr Wilkins said: “The fire service got here straight away. The fireman said he was concerned there might be someone in the house.”

Mrs Wilkins, who drove to her neighbour’s workplace to alert her, said: “I’ve never seen anything like that before, just thick black smoke.

“I feel sorry for the poor lady. “Her house must be terrible now.”