People evacuated from town centre car park during three-car fire

0
Have your say

People were evacuated from a town centre multi-storey car park when a fire broke out, damaging three cars.

Crews from Moulton, Mereway and Daventry fire stations were called to the fire on the first floor of the Grosvenor Centre multi-story car park in Union Street in Northampton town centre on Sunday, August 19, at 2.45pm.

A fire service spokesman said: “This was one Vauxhall Astra involved in fire which spread to another Vauxhall Astra and also a Ford Focus.

“All three vehicles were severely damaged by fire, there was also fire damage to a quantity of lighting and there was smoke damage to the remainder of the first floor of the car park.

“Members of the public were safely evacuated from the area by fire service, police and members of staff.

“Fire service crews used two hose reels to extinguish the fire and the cause is believed to be accidental due to an electrical short circuit within one of the vehicles.”

Firefighters left the incident with the police and representatives from Northampton Council.