A number of events and activities will take place next week to raise the profile of tourism in Northamptonshire’s Nene Valley.
As part of the national English Tourism Week campaign being led by VisitEngland, Destination Nene Valley (DNV) will promote events and activities to showcase the tourism offer from March 25 to April 2.
East Northamptonshire councillor and board member for the DNV project, Sarah Peacock, said: “English Tourism Week is a great opportunity to promote the fantastic wildlife, heritage and cultural offer in the Nene Valley.
“Tourism brings 2.4m visitors each year.
“The English tourism sector touches everyone – visitors, residents, businesses and employees.”
Cllr Jonathan Nunn, leader of Northampton Borough Council, said: “Hosting this event will help us cement our place as part of a very strong partnership dedicated to promoting the Nene Valley as a visitor destination.
“Delapré Abbey is the latest heritage attraction along the river’s expanse, so it’s entirely fitting that we welcome everyone from Destination Nene Valley to see what it has to offer.
“We know they’ll be impressed.”
The events include:
- The development and promotion of a seasonal Nene Valley Explorer challenger which encourages families to explore new and popular venues in the Nene Valley (with prizes to be won).
- Promotion of Nene Valley activities and events through www.nenevalley.net and social media channels @_nenevalley and www.facebook.com/rivernene
- An annual stakeholder event which is taking place at Delapré Abbey on Wednesday, March 29, from 10.15am and is sponsored by Northampton Borough Council. A free marketing workshop will be available to tourism businesses.
- A brochure swap event for local accommodation providers to network with visitor attractions at Stanwick Lakes on Friday, March 31, from 1pm to 3pm.
- Interviews with tourism businesses to be promoted through @_nenevalley and @ENCouncil on Twitter.
- Promotion of a photographic competition – visit www.nenevalley.net for more information (from March 22).
- Promotion of attractions through the distribution of tourism leaflets across the Nene Valley.
- Activities and events are being organised through the DNV project, which aims to promote the Nene Valley as a competitive, sustainable destination offering wildlife heritage and culture to a mixture of local, national and international audiences.