An open verdict has been returned on the death of a man whose body may have lain undiscovered in Stanion Woods, near Corby, for months.
Andrew Marshall, 40, from East Ham in London, was last seen by friends and family in September last year.
His body was found, in a decomposed state, in Stanion Woods on March 1 this year.
Mr Marshall’s inquest was held in Kettering on Thursday, November 6.
The inquest heard how Mr Marshall’s body was discovered in the woods on the afternoon of March 1.
He had his driving licence, passport and an Oyster card in his pockets.
Reading out a statement from pathologist Dr Kevin West, coroner Anne Pember said a post-mortem examination had been carried out.
She said it had not revealed any natural disease and that a toxicology test had shown moderate levels of alcohol.
The pathologist said he could not rule out hypothermia as the cause of death – but added that the post-mortem examination was inconclusive.
A statement from Mr Marshall’s mother said he had been a popular man who had travelled extensively and who had friends all over the world.
He was born in Cape Town, South Africa, and had moved to the UK, initially to Scotland, and variously worked as a carpenter, in a nightclub and at a hostel.
His mother added that Mr Marshall had a female friend who lived in Brigstock, but other than that no connection to Northamptonshire was mentioned.
Coroner Anne Pember recorded an open verdict.
She said: “Mr Marshall’s family reported him missing many months before he was found in Corby.
“The pathologist was not able to give a cause of death.”