More than 100 protest in King’s Cliffe against waste site

0
Have your say

VILLAGERS opposing a radioactive waste site have demonstrated against the first consignments of waste being delivered in the north of the county.

More than 100 residents marched through King’s Cliffe this morning to voice their fears over the action taken by waste firm Augean.

It followed Augean’s announcement last week that it had started receiving low level radioactive waste at its site close to the village.

Chris Leuchars, spokesman for the group, said the news had “infuriated” people living in King’s Cliffe and surrounding villages.

He said: “Augean has started to dump the waste while court proceedings are still going on. We would like to show that the people of King’s Cliffe and the surrounding villages are very annoyed by that. Given Augean are just about to put in an application to extend the dump we want to show the people of King’s Cliffe have not settled down to the idea of nuclear waste.”

Permission was given for the waste to be disposed of at the site following a public inquiry.

A legal challenge by protesters is due to be heard at the Court of Appeal on January 17.