Man, 83, unhurt as house is damaged

A firefighter damping down following the fire in Broughton
A firefighter damping down following the fire in Broughton
0
Have your say

A fire has left a house severely damaged and forced the closure of a village street.

The blaze broke out at about 5.30am yesterday at Spinney Lodge, in Gate Lane, in Broughton.

There was an 83-year-old resident in the two-storey property, and he is believed to have alaerted the fire service to the blaze. He was taken to hospital to be treated forsmoke inhalation and shock.

Part of the road, after the Church Street junction, was closed until about 1pm.

Karl Crocker, from the fire service on the scene, said: “The house has been left severely damaged with much of the top floor ruined.

“Fire crews got to the site pretty quickly and the worst of the fire was under control by about 4pm.

“I’ve been on the scene since 9am and we’re damping down the property and making sure the road is safe.

“The house is detached so the fire didn’t spread to neighbouring properties.”

Four fire engines attended the blaze, while the police cordoned off the road.

Access to the village’s hall, cemetery and allotments was disrupted for both motorists and pedestrians.

The Broughton Under-5s Association, a pre-school at the village hall, was also cancelled.

Neighbour Hilary Nicholaides, of Gate Lane, said: “I was shocked to have someone banging on my door at 5.30am in the morning telling me there’s a fire next door. The house was really well alight, but I’m relieved the neighbour next door looks to be OK.”

Another neighbour, who did not want to be named, said: “The house is completely destroyed.”