Lifesaver Tom, 10, saves choking mum

Tom Barton, 10, saved his mum Deborah Marquis from choking to death on a piece of toast which was stuck in her windpipe
Tom Barton, 10, saved his mum Deborah Marquis from choking to death on a piece of toast which was stuck in her windpipe

Tom knew what to do after first aid lesson

Just a day after learning how to stop someone choking at Windmill Primary School in Raunds, Tom Barton was called into action when his mum started choking on a piece of toast at the breakfast table.

Deborah, who is a practice nurse, said: “I realised straight away I was in trouble. Fortunately, Tom acted fast, applying a sharp back blow which caused the toast to fly out.”

Tom suffers from Asperger’s Syndrome, which means he struggles in certain situations, especially around others, but he was still able to put his skills to good use.

She said: “He saved my life. Our story proves that first aid really can be the difference between a life lost and a life saved.

“If he hadn’t learnt first aid, it could have been a very different ending. I am so proud of Tom, and so pleased that they held training at his school.

“I think first aid training is a vital skill for everyone to have and I would definitely recommend for all schools to teach it.”

Pupils in Years 3, 4 and 6 took part in the St John Ambulance’s core first aid training in November.

Headteacher Michelle Ginn said: “As a school, we are delighted that Tom was able to apply the skills that he learnt so confidently and effectively.

“It just goes to show how important first aid training really is. Well done Tom - excellent confidence and resilience displayed.”

Schools can take part in the St John Ambulance’s first ever Big First Aid Lesson on June 20.

For details go to www.sja.org.uk/bigfirstaidlesson.