Kebab shop is badly damaged after fire

A KEBAB shop owner is devastated after a kitchen fire caused £25,000 of damage and forced him to close for at least two weeks.

Three teams of firefighters spent nearly two hours tackling the flames inside Delight Kebab in Silver Street, Wellingborough, in the early hours of Saturday.

The fire began after the shop closed at about 3am and is thought to have started following an electrical fault in a fat fryer.

Speaking from the severely damaged shop just hours later, owner Ali Okur said: “When you own a business it’s like your son so when you lose it you feel devastated. That sums me up right now.”

Mr Okur and worker Ozzie Ozman were in a flat above the shop relaxing with a drink when they picked up the smell of smoke from down below. They found the fat fryer well alight and tried to put it out using fire extinguishers, but the fire spread and the fire service was called at about 5.20am. Three crews finally extinguishing it at 7.10am.

They also led seven people to safety living in a neighbouring flat.

Mr Ozman said: “When we got downstairs the whole place was in smoke and the fire was raging – it was really bad. I used two extinguishers but it was no good and I called the fire service.

“The damage comes on the biggest day of the year for us, New Year’s Eve. Everyone, the owner and the four members of staff, are all gutted.”

In a message to customers, Mr Ozman said the store would need a refit and re-open in about two weeks. He asked for their patience and loyalty.

Following the fire neighbouring properties, including Bar Fever, were asked to keep their doors and windows open because of smoke.