Plot holders at an allotment in Irthlingborough were delighted after they officially unveiled a new lottery-funded security fence – installed in a bid to stop vandals.
According to plot holders, Crouch Street Allotments, in Irthlingborough, has been blighted by vandalism for the past couple of years, with sheds being broken into and damaged and equipment stolen.
Speaking at the unveiling on Saturday, chairman of the allotments group, Spencer Wainwright, said: “Everyone is over the moon about it.
“Everyone is able to set up their plots and feel confident they can get on with their work and not be vandalised.
“It has always been my dream to get this done since I came here. But I went to my first meeting in February and our bid was successful, so it has happened quite quickly really.”
The allotment received £10,000 of lottery funding towards the fence and raised the remaining £1,000 needed with the help of local councillors.
Allotment secretary Kate James said that they especially wanted to thank Cllr Marika Hilson who helped them through the Lottery fund bidding process and aided them with all the forms that had to be completed.
She added: “Without her help we would have struggled filling in those forms. But I must also pay thanks to Cllr Andrew Langley, Mayor John Farrar and Cllr Sylvia Hobbs.”
The installation of the metal fence began two weeks ago and runs the perimeter of the land.
Mr Wainwright added that it was perfect timing for the new fence with the dark winter nights closing in – as that is when they used to have the most trouble with vandalism.
Last week the Telegraph also reported about a spate of crime at allotments in Kettering.
The Margaret Road allotments have been broken into four times in the last six weeks, with the latest incident happening on Sunday, October 21.
Over the perdiod vandals have broken sheds, smashed pumpkins, destroyed produce and stolen equipment.
Dai Johnson, treasurer of the allotments, said, at the time, that plot holders were considering giving up their hobby because of the “mindless” acts of vandalism.
Police have said that they are looking for three teenagers aged between 17 and 18, regarding the incident on October 21, and are asking for any witnesses to contact them by dialling 101.
The allotments do not have enough money to install their own security fencing and have failed to secure funding from Kettering Council.