Inquests will still be held in Kettering despite the closure of the town’s magistrates’ court, it has been confirmed.
Doubt had been cast on the future of inquests in the north of the county after Kettering Magistrates’ Court shut on Thursday (June 30), with Corby’s court closing a day later.
But they will now be held at the Kettering Council offices in Bowling Green Road, with an anticipated start date of July 21.
A spokesman for Kettering Council said it seemed like “a great alternative” to the previous site.
The spokesman said: “Kettering Council has been working with the coroner’s office in order to retain a town centre location to hold inquests leading up to the recent closure of the magistrates’ court in Kettering.
“A wide range of public services and partner organisations are located within the offices in Bowling Green Road and this seemed like a great alternative location to hold inquests in the future.
“It is anticipated that the coroner’s office will start holding inquests at this new location from July 21, 2016.”