Hunt goes on for killer as family grieves loss

Murder victim David Ross, also known as Les Ross
Murder victim David Ross, also known as Les Ross
1
Have your say

A month after the murder of nightclub boss David “Les” Ross his family and friends are still coming to terms with their loss.

Their agony continues as the hunt goes on for the killer of Mr Ross, 39, who was looking forward to a new phase of his life after opening a nightclub in Corby with his business partner.

Today the man leading the murder investigation, Det Chief Insp Martin Kinchin, made another appeal for anyone who had contact with Mr Ross during the weekend before his death to come forward. He said: “Given how popular Mr Ross was and his business interests in the area, we are surprised that more people have not come forward to speak to us.

“We have spoken to several people who have given us valuable information but we would have expected more people to contact us. We are particularly interested in speaking to people who saw or heard from Mr Ross during the weekend before his death.”

Mr Ross, who was originally from Kettering, was found dead at the Village Inn Express Hotel, bed and breakfast accommodation, in The Jamb, Corby, on Monday, December 17.

He was a partner in the new Rubix nightclub in Corporation Street, Corby, and his death came just days after its opening. He had worked on the venture for months with his business partner and joint owner Jon Cowell.

He said: “It’s been hard for everyone. I am in regular contact with Les’ brother and the family are doing their best to bear up.

“It’s been a very difficult time for everyone. Les and I worked together on the venture for months. He had been sitting across the desk from me and then suddenly he’s not there. It’s been very hard.”

Nicolina Provenzano, manager of Bar Qbana in Ebenezer Place, in Kettering town centre, had known Mr Ross for more than 20 years. He said: “Everyone is still in shock and we all want whoever is responsible for his death caught.

“It’s been a month now and the suffering goes on for David’s family and friends.”

As part of the murder investigation police have interviewed shoppers and workers in The Jamb and nearby High Street to try to piece together Mr Ross’ final hours.

Officers are urging people who were in the area on Monday, December 17, between the crucial hours of 7am and 9am to come forward.

Three men have been arrested in connection with a burglary at the home of Mr Ross in Chelveston Drive, Corby, a couple of days before his death. The men, aged 22, 21 and 18 and all from Corby, have been bailed pending inquiries.

Mr Ross’ Blackberry and iPhone were stolen, along with a Playbook tablet and a laptop computer, and police are trying to establish if there is a link between the break-in and the murder.

To contact police call 101.