Plans for 27 homes on a village football pitch have been approved despite objections from residents, the parish council and borough councillors.
Officers at Corby Council had recommended that the Mulberry Developments Plan at Weldon United Football Club were approved and members of the development control committee agreed with them, giving the plans the go-ahead last night (Tuesday).
The planning application, which had been refused by councillors earlier this year, had been resubmitted by developers and will see 27 properties built on the football pitch neighbouring the Weldon Woodside Park Homes site.
But the decision has not been welcomed by those who opposed it.
Local Conservative councillors Rob McKellar, Kevin Watt and Bridget Watts have been campaigning against the development alongside Corby MP Tom Pursglove.
Cllr McKellar said: “This is further unwelcome overdevelopment in Weldon.
“It will destroy yet more precious green space in the village and will deprive local children of a place to play football.”
Objections to the planning application were submitted by Weldon Parish Council, the three councillors representing the village, Tom Pursglove MP and local residents.
Two petitions with more than 900 signatures were also handed in.
Speaking after the meeting, Cllr Rob McKellar said: “The Weldon residents who have attended this evening are clearly upset and understandably so.”
And he added: “I am utterly dismayed at the decision the committee has made, but the Weldon Conservatives will of course continue to fight hard to protect green space in Weldon and the other villages in the Corby area.”
Following the decision to approve the latest plans, residential director at Mulberry Developments Steve Mitchell said: “We are pleased to finally receive planning permission to bring forward new housing and facilitate the relocation of Weldon United Football Club to Rockingham Triangle, in turn unlocking sports funding and securing significant benefits for the borough as a whole.
“Now planning permission has been granted we will commence site preparation works in the new year.”