Holiday from hell after guests defecated in hotel swimming pool leaving seven members of Northamptonshire family hospitalised

editorial image

Seven members of a Northamptonshire family - including three children - were hospitalised with a severe stomach bug after a nightmare holiday in Cyprus.

Jason Sanders, 47, from Irthlingborough, was celebrating his father-in-law’s 70th birthday at a resort in Cyprus when all but two of the 12-strong party were struck down with cramps, vomitting and diarrhoea.

The family are blaming the lack of cleanliness at the hotel, and claim the pool was not adequately cleaned following two occasions where a child defecated in the water.

Their case has now been taken up by Irwin Mitchell solicitors, who are seeking compensation through the tour operator.

Mr Sanders said: “When you spend £5,000 on me, my wife and kids alone, you expect a bit more than conditions that send you to hospital.

“They had a very casual attitude to cleaning up and were not really concerned by us needing medical treatment.

“What’s more, after each of us came back from hospital, we had no choice but to stay at this hotel until we could fly home.”

It was just days into their two-week holiday in May, when the first members of the party fell ill with diarrhoea, vomiting, stomach cramps and a fever.

One by one 10 of them fell ill and seven – including three children under the age of 10 – were then admitted to hospital for further treatment.

Jason’s wife Sadie, who was among those hospitalised, even continued to suffer symptoms on her return to the UK.

Jatinder Paul, a solicitor and expert travel lawyer at Irwin Mitchell, said: “Gastric illnesses can be extremely serious for victims, particularly young children, which makes it even more worrying that some of those hospitalised following this illness were under the age of ten and that some members of the family are still feeling the effects.

“The illness Jason and his family suffered completely ruined what was supposed to be a special occasion for them and we are now investigating their concerns with the hygiene standards at the hotel to help provide them with the answers they deserve.”

A statement from First Choice, who the holiday was booked with, said: “We are sorry to hear of the Sanders family’s experience earlier this year.

“First Choice closely audits all resorts to which we operate to ensure that health, hygiene and comfort levels are maintained in line with industry standards.

“As this case is now subject to legal proceedings it would be inappropriate for us to comment further.”