Police are appealing for witnesses after a lit firework was pushed through a letterbox of a home causing a fire.
The arson attack occurred on Tuesday, November 13, between 6pm and 6.20pm in Gannet Lane, Wellingborough.
Yobs put a lit firework through the letterbox of a door resulting in the property catching fire, which was put out by the fire service.
A hamster which was in the house at the time, died as a result of the extensive smoke damage.
A resident of the street, who did not want to be named, said they called the fire service when their partner spotted flames through the front door window panes of the property.
They added: “I was watching outside my home when the fire brigade came to put it out and we saw them throw what my partner thought was a firework out the front door.
“They also brought down a cage which we thought was a hamster.”
The resident said that they believed nobody was in the house at the time but it is worrying because they know of people who live nearby who have children and could of been hurt if the fire had spread.
They added that they had to comfort their son, who also has a pet hamster, because he was worried that his pet would get hurt.
The resident called the culprits of this incident, and the yobs who attached a firework to a cat in Wellingborough at the weekend, “idiots.”
Witnesses to this incident, or anyone with information, should call Northamptonshire Police on 101 - alternatively, information can be given anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.