Gas leak sparks fire call-out

news@lbobserver.co.uk
news@lbobserver.co.uk
0
Have your say

A gas pipe outside a home in Dean Close, Rushden, was ruptured during construction work causing a small fire this morning (Tuesday, June 11) at about 8.40am.

Firefighters from Rushden and Wellingborough were sent to the scene and found the gas pipe alight.

The gas pipe and an adjacent electricity cable had been severed. Sparks from the electricity cable had caused the gas pipe to ignite.

Firefighters remained at the scene until gas and electrical engineers arrived and isolated the supply.

Crews used a hose reel to damp down the surrounding area to prevent the fire from spreading.

A spokesman for Northamptonshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “A safety cordon was put in place by the fire service and police. Advice was given to local residents to remain indoors until supplies had been isolated. The incident was left with gas and electricity companies to complete necessary repairs.”