A scheme to bring long-term empty properties back into use has secured more than £150,000 in Government funding – and has so far seen four houses let out as homes.
Kettering Council says it won a £152,000 grant from the Homes and Communities Agency to convert eight vacant properties in the borough.
Five houses have already been purchased, four of which have been refurbished and have now been let out.
A ribbon cutting ceremony was held on November 13 at the most recently completed property in St Mary’s Road, Kettering.
John Conway, who is head of housing at Kettering Council, said: “Every additional home we make available makes someone’s life better.
“I am pleased to say that, under the Empty Homes Programme, the council has now succeeded in providing new homes for four families with the prospect of more to come.”
The council said each of the five properties it has purchased had previously stood empty for about 18 months.
Any property empty for more than six months is considered to be a long-term empty property.
Cllr Steve Bellamy, Kettering Council’s portfolio holder for housing, said: “Providing affordable housing is an important issue and many people want to see empty homes in their communities being renovated and brought back into use.
“We’ve worked hard to win funding through the Empty Homes Programme to bring these properties back into use.
“It’s great news for people looking for somewhere affordable to live in the local area.”