Dogs raise fire alert but die in Kettering house blaze

The three girls managed to get out of the blaze, but their three pet dogs died in the fire
The three girls managed to get out of the blaze, but their three pet dogs died in the fire

A mum-of-three has paid tribute to the community for their support after a house fire gutted the family home.

Less than an hour after Chantelle Peterson, 42, had left for work on Monday morning, the property in Copperfield Close, Kettering, went up in flames.

Chantelle’s children Loren, 17, Charlie, 11, and Mollie, who turns seven this weekend, were asleep.

They were saved when the family’s dogs – border terrier cross Bailey, Pipin, a Jack Russell, and Yorkshire terrier Lucy – woke Loren.

The Tresham College student helped her brother and sister out of the house, although the animals could not be saved by neighbours or firefighters who were at the scene.

Since learning of the fire, people on have set up an appeal to donate clothes to the family, as well as furniture for them to use when they find somewhere else to live.

Chantelle said: “It’s a bit overwhelming how nice people are – I have no idea who started the appeal. I’ve a lot of people I know who have messaged me but there are strangers offering support. It’s amazing what they have done.

“We lost our three dogs and it was them who woke my eldest daughter up.

“Two more minutes and they wouldn’t have got out.

“I’ve said to my children so many times what to do if there’s a fire. I’m so glad I’ve sat them and talked things through. Loren was so brave – at that age you shouldn’t have to go through that.

“I would love to thank all the people I don’t know. Thank you for being so generous. Anything that’s not used or duplicated will be donated straight back out to others.”

Items can be delivered to collection points including the Ladies First gym in Montagu Street, Kettering.