Desborough man died after choking on a steak in Kettering pub

Kettering Magistrates Court

Kettering Magistrates Court

0
Have your say

The wife of a man who died when he choked on steak while having lunch with their family in Kettering has said it was a “huge shock” that has been “extremely difficult to come to terms with”.

Staff at The Briars pub in Brambleside helped to give CPR to William Hamilton Mount, 71, of Prince Rupert Avenue, Desborough, when he began to choke while having a meal with his wife, daughter and her partner.

Paramedics arrived and were able to clear his airwaves and maintain his breathing, but he died barely an hour later in Kettering General Hospital.

An inquest into his death, held yesterday in Kettering, found that Mr Mount died of asphyxiation and damage caused to his body when he initially began to choke on a piece of steak.

A statement from Mr Mount’s wife of 29 years, Cynthia, read out by assistant coroner for Northamptonshire Hassan Shah, said: “It has been a huge shock and extremely difficult to come to terms with.

“It has left a huge void in the lives of our family.

“William was a great family man, always willing to do anything for anyone who needed help.

“He was a kind and caring husband.”

Mr Mount died just after 3pm on January 14 this year.

Mr Shah recorded a conclusion of accidental death and said: “Despite the valiant efforts of his family, paramedics and hospital staff, Mr Mount passed away at 3.07pm.

“All that could have been done was done by everyone involved, and any damage caused may have occurred early on when he choked.”