Decision on Brookfield Plantation waste recycling park in Corby is put back

A demonstration last year against the proposed waste recovery park
A demonstration last year against the proposed waste recovery park
35
Have your say

A decision on controversial plans for a waste recycling park at Corby has been postponed to allow councillors to consider new information submitted by the developers.

Members of the borough council’s development control committee were due to discuss a planning application for the scheme on Tuesday (August 19) and were being advised to reject the plans on the grounds that environmental information on the park did not meet statutory requirements.

Developers Gretton Brook Estates Limited submitted a revised package of information to the council on Friday.

A spokesman for Corby Council said: “This additional information is a replacement environmental statement which has potentially significant implications for the determination of the application.

“Corby Council is legally required to consult on this replacement information and it is necessary to seek further expert legal and technical advice on its content. The replacement environmental statement will be placed on public deposit and copies provided to statutory consultees.

“The consideration of the application by the development control committee on Tuesday, August 19, is proposed to be deferred to enable this further information to be considered.

“The committee will be requested to refer the report back to officers without debate. There will be no public speakers as the report circulated is now considered void and not to be formally considered.”

Corby councillor Rob McKellar, who has lead the campaign against the proposed waste resource park at Brookfield Plantation, off Gretton Brook Road, said he is disappointed a decision on the scheme has been put back.

He said: “The developer has had almost two years since the planning application went in and more than 10 months since further information was initially requested.

“To make a further submission the Friday before the decision meeting is quite frankly disingenuous, particularly when all involved know just how anxious local residents are about this matter.

“As the decision meeting agenda has already been published, I feel strongly that the public should still be given the opportunity to speak before councillors are asked to defer the decision.”

Cllr McKellar said a planned demonstration against the scheme at 6.30pm outside the Cube before the meeting will still go ahead.

New information supplied to the borough council includes more details on potential occupiers of the proposed park. They could include a renewable energy generation facility, chilled storage and distribution and food preparation companies, general manufacturing, electrical and mechanical engineering businesses, a call centre, a research and development centre, waste management, recycling and a biomass production facility.

Furniture-makers, timber works, solar panel and wind turbine manufacturers and recreational facilities are also potential occupants.

Developers say they expect the park to result in more than £100m of investment and create 800 jobs during construction and about 3,000 once it is operational.