Detectives in Corby are renewing their appeal for information about the murder of David “Les” Ross, but have said ‘significant progress’ has been made in the investigation.
Mr Ross would have celebrated his fortieth birthday on Saturday (June 1).
The investigation into the death of Mr Ross – at the Village Inn Express hotel in The Jamb, Corby, on December 17 last year – is making ‘good’ progress according to the investigating officers.
To date, 47 police officers and staff have been working on the investigation taking 221 statements, generating 483 investigative reports and taking 886 exhibits.
Officers have spoken to 1,045 people in the course of the investigation to date.
Detective Chief Inspector Martin Kinchin, of the East Midlands regional Major Crime Team, said: “While this is a challenging investigation, significant progress has been made since December 17.
“It has become apparent that a number of people with information were initially reluctant to come forward through fear of repercussions, but this is changing and more people are now providing useful information.
“I would encourage anybody with any information to come forward and speak to us in confidence, or alternatively to call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.”
Crimestoppers do not collect any personal details of callers, but simply pass on the information to the investigation.
Callers are provided with a PIN number to allow them to anonymously claim the reward on offer for information leading to the conviction of the killer of Mr Ross.
According to detectives, it quickly became apparent that Mr Ross was a private person, who only shared limited details of his life and concerns with different people. Since then, officers have spent considerable time piecing together this information to form a picture of his life and concerns.
DCI Kinchin identified that there are still a number of potential witnesses who have not been traced.
He added: “We know that there were a number of people waiting for a bus opposite the Village Inn Express that morning who have not been traced and we would ask these people to come forward.”
Police have previously appealed for a person who walked down the Jamb at 7.26am to come forward.
This person is shown on CCTV to start to cross the road then change their mind. The person is wearing a hooded top of at least two colours and with a motif on the front to one side.
Police have now released details of another person they are keen to identify. This is a man who parks a silver or grey Vauxhall Insignia or Vectra car in the Chapel Lane car park and at 7.39am and walks back from The Jamb to the car park and drives away.
The male appears to be wearing a suit type jacket which he removes before driving away. This man has possibly visited one of the local shops.
A 40-year-old Corby man remains on police bail while investigations continue.