Council will seek new buyers for failed Desborough supermarket site

The Lawrence Factory site, Desborough
The Lawrence Factory site, Desborough

New buyers will be sought for a former factory site in Desborough which Tesco pulled out of just a few months ago.

The supermarket chain won planning permission for a store at the Lawrence Factory Site, in Harborough Road, in 2012, but in July announced that it had abandoned the scheme – citing changing buying habits for the decision.

The decision came just weeks after Tesco was granted planning permission for a new store just a few miles away in Market Harborough.

However, Kettering Council’s executive committee last night (Wednesday, September 10) agreed to begin a new marketing process to find a new buyer who can develop the site.

The authority acquired the site a number of years ago and at the time said it wanted to develop the site to create ‘economic activity and employment’ for Desborough.

Speaking at last night’s meeting, Cllr David Soans, a member of Desborough Town Council and Desborough ward councillor, said: “We [Desborough Town Council] are totally in favour of the recommendation to begin a new marketing process.

“People in Desborough are totally fed up after 14 years of that site not being developed.”

Cllr Mike Tebbutt, another Desborough ward councillor, added: “I was terribly disappointed when Tesco chose, for business reasons, not to go ahead with their supermarket.

“People in Desborough had been looking forward to it.

“It also meant we were not able to deliver other town centre improvements that it would have brought.

“I am keen to see things move forward and I await the marketing exercise plan with interest.”

The council said a further report will be brought back to a future meeting of the executive committee on the outcome of the marketing exercise.