Breakthrough in police hunt for serial late-night sex offender

editorial image
0
Have your say

Police have quizzed a man in connection with a series of sex attacks in Wellingborough.

An 18-year-old Wellingborough man was arrested at 4.15am on Tuesday in Cannon Street, Wellingborough, following an allegation of a sex assault in the area.

He was questioned in relation to six other offences which have taken place in the town since January.

The teenager has since been released on bail pending further inquiries.

Det Insp Ali Reynolds said: “We would appeal to anyone who may have seen a man acting suspiciously in the early hours of Tuesday morning in Wellingborough town centre to contact us as soon as possible.

“The investigation is ongoing and officers are continuing to work around the clock. Dedicated patrols are taking place throughout the night and officers have stopped and spoken to more than 30 lone men who were out and about during the evening or early morning.

“Several new witnesses to the series of incidents have come forward since we issued the appeal and I would like to thank them for making contact with us. We would ask for anyone with any information about the offences to call 101, or 999 in an emergency, and mention Operation Breach.

“Patrols of the area will be ongoing, however, we would continue to remind women and girls to avoid walking alone late at night or in the early hours. We would recommend investing in a personal safety alarm which can be bought online from as little as £5.”

An investigation has been ongoing since it was discovered that a man had been trawling the town’s streets looking for victims.

The offender, who is described as a white man aged between 17 and 30, has preyed on women of all ages at various locations across the town.

All of the victims were walking on their own when they were followed by the offender, who covers his face with a scarf, who then exposes himself before indecently assaulting the victims.

Ali Mcleod, owner of the Gloucester pub in Church Street, Wellingborough, and a member of the town’s Pub Watch scheme, said: “I am pleased to hear that the police investigation is progressing.

“Our female customers and female members of our bar staff have definitely been more cautious.”