Boy leaves hospital after being stabbed in the back in Rushden

A teenage boy has been released from hospital after being stabbed in the back twice
A teenage boy has been released from hospital after being stabbed in the back twice
0
Have your say

A teenage boy has been released from hospital after being stabbed in the back twice.

The 15-year-old victim went home at the start of this week following the attack in Rushden on Sunday, January 25.

He had been walking in the Chester Road and Spinney Road area of the town with a friend at about 7.15pm that night when they were approached by a group of about three boys.

The victim was stabbed in the back twice by members of the group, and his friend was also punched in the face.

The boy was taken to University Hospital Coventry with a collapsed lung, but police say he has now been able to go home.

Sector commander for East Northamptonshire Julie Mead said: “We don’t want people to be overly alarmed.

“It is a dreadful thing to happen, but we are confident it was a one-off event.”

Insp Mead said they would be working to offer reassurance to members of the public following the attack and will be carrying out high visibility patrols in Rushden and Higham Ferrers.

This will include patrols outside schools in the area and comes during a month-long crackdown on violent crime by Northamptonshire Police, known as Operation Limit.

A police spokesman said: “We are still appealing for witnesses, particularly dog walkers, who we believe were out in the area when the incident took place and have not yet come forward.

“We would like to speak to anyone who may have been in the area of Chester Road and Spinney Road, at about 7.15pm on Sunday, January 25.”

Any witnesses to the stabbing can call police on 101.