Boy badly bitten by dog

Kyle McSkimming
Kyle McSkimming

An 11-year-old boy has been badly bitten by a dog.

And his mum has criticised East Midlands Ambulance Service for not providing adequate pain killers on their vehicles and for the way the incident was handled.

Kyle McSkimming

Kyle McSkimming

Kyle McSkimming, 11, of Grovesnor Way, Barton Seagrave, was badly bitten by his brother’s shar pei dog when he was visiting him in Kettering on April 1.

The Latimer Arts College pupil lost part of his bottom lip and also suffered a gash underneath one eye after the dog, which has since been destroyed, turned on him.

Kyle’s mother, Kerrie Sweeney, said the situation was made worse because the ambulance was not carrying adequate painkillers, and she says the paramedics argued between themselves on route to Northampton General Hospital.

She added: “Kyle was in a lot of pain and discomfort but all the ambulance had was junior paracetamol.

“The ambulance did not have any morphine and we called at Wellingborough Ambulance Station on the way but there was none there either.”

Miss Sweeney said the paramedics argued in the ambulance and one “slammed a door” at the house where Kyle was bitten.

Miss Sweeney said she was also shocked when the hospital initially wanted Kyle to be discharged shortly after his arrival, despite the fact he was booked to have an operation at 6.30am the following morning. The hospital eventually found him a bed and Kyle underwent surgery to repair his bottom lip.

His mum added: “Kyle’s brother is devastated about what happened and was in shock at the time. I just feel the ambulance service made the situation a lot worse.”

Debbie Tweddle, EMAS locality manager for Northamptonshire, said: “EMAS disputes the claims the ambulance crew were unprofessional or they argued when on scene or during the journey.”

She said the crew would usually administer the painkiller Entonox, but were unable to do so because Kyle had suffered facial injuries and the drug requires a mask.

The crew said they were unable to administer an intravenous morphine because Kyle told them he was scared of needles.

A spokesman for Northampton General Hospital said: “We try to arrange for patients to go home and return the following day for surgery.

“We are sorry Kyle’s mum felt this was inappropriate, and we are pleased to have been able to admit him overnight.”